Rent your perfect home with confidence

Tenants Guide

Prior to moving into the property

Tenant(s) will provide us with a reservation deposit of £500 to reserve the dwelling. This reservation fee does not imply a tenancy and it is fully refundable if the offer placed does not get accepted.

Each tenant will be required to undergo referencing and a credit check. These will be undertaken by our reference agency. In some instances, for example if you are a student, or have been self-employed or employed for a short period of time by your employer, a requirement of a guarantor is needed. The guarantor(s) must be a resident in the UK, have full-time permanent employment and requires earning a minimum of three times the amount of the annual rental income. If tenant(s) cannot provide a guarantor you may be required to supply the equivalent of two months' rent as a damage deposit or pay 3 to 6 months rent in advance.

Tenant(s) will be a administration fee, this will cover the referencing, drawing up of your tenancy agreement and the administration for you to move into the dwelling.

For JBE London to issue a tenancy agreement we will require tenant(s) to pay the full balance and administration fee, this will have to be cleared funds and 5 working days before your move in date. JBE London do not accept credit cards or debit cards and the monies can only be paid via bank transfer or cash. Tenant(s) lettings consultant will advise you of the balance of the monies and a breakdown of the balances will be provided.

All signings must be via an appointment with tenant(s) Lettings Negotiator.

Dining Room

Liaison with your landlord

Once tenant(s) have moved into the dwelling, all contacts would be with your Landlord unless the dwelling is managed by JBE London. Tenant(s) will be provided with all relevant details prior to your move in.

Contractual arrangements

Tenant(s) may request a specimen copy of our standard assured shorthold tenancy agreement. Points on this Contract which commonly require clarification are: All Tenants have joint and several liabilities under the contract, for example, if one of the tenants in a joint tenancy fails to pay their share of the rent, the other tenant(s) will be liable for the rent share.

Where a Guarantor has entered into an Agreement, in an event a tenant(s) not meeting the obligations under the Tenancy Agreement, the Guarantor would be liable to accept these liabilities under the Contract.

Tenant(s) are liable to pay water rates, gas, electricity, telephone and local authority council tax. Tenant(s) are to make your own arrangements for putting these services into your name and also ensuring to terminate the utilities at the end of a tenancy. Tenant(s) Landlord / Agency hold your deposit in a registered scheme; tenant(s) will be notified within 14 days after a contract has commenced.

The tenancy agreement is a legally binding document.


What does Right to Rent mean for me?

Right to Rent was introduced under the Immigration Act 2014 and it is really important for both tenants and landlords to understand the implications of this act. It places restrictions on illegal immigrants accessing rented accommodation in England by making all adult occupants prove they are in the UK legally before being granted a tenancy. This is done through a process called a Right to Rent check.

What is a Right to Rent check?

This is when a prospective adult occupant of a rental property shows their identity documents in person to a landlord or letting agent. This is a similar checking process to presenting your passport (and visa) to a border control officer at an immigration check point. The landlord/letting agent must take a copy of the documents seen, and record the check being completed. If a tenant has a time limited right to rent (e.g. a visa or Biometric Residency Permit with an expiry date) then the check must be done within 28 days of the tenancy start date and the visa must be valid for the proposed tenancy start date.

What are the landlord's/agent's responsibilities?

The landlord/agent must:

  • Check all adult tenants who will live in the property as their only or main home
  • Ask tenants for the original documents that show they have the right to be in the UK
  • Check the original documents with the tenant physically present and ensure they are valid
  • Make copies of the original documents and record when the check was completed
  • Conduct follow up checks at the appropriate time (e.g. repeat the check when a tenant's visa expires)

If follow up checks reveal that an occupant in a rental property no longer has a valid 'Right to Rent' then the landlord/lettings agent must report that person to the Home Office.


What documents are acceptable?

Acceptable documents that a tenant can use to demonstrate their identity and Right to Rent are dependent on their nationality.

Options for EEA/Swiss citizens are:

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid EEA*/Swiss national ID card
  • Combination of valid UK driving licence & original UK birth certificate (British citizens only)

*Countries in the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & the UK.

Options for all other nationalities are a combination of passport and a valid visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If I don't have my documents what are the consequences?

Occupation of a rental property is conditional on all adult occupants demonstrating a valid Right to Rent prior to the tenancy start date. This can be done at any branch of Jack Barclay Estates . If any adult occupant fails to present themselves and their original documents proving a valid Right to Rent then all occupants may be denied access to the rental property until this requirement is satisfied.

Want to know more?

Right to Rent checks have been introduced as part of wider Government reforms to the immigration system. For more information visit the Home Office website or contact


Avoidance of condensation

Condensation often occurs due to the way lifestyles have changed. Older buildings especially, were not designed for current day lifestyles. People now tend to bath, shower and wash clothes more frequently and all these activities generate considerable water vapour. Coupled with this, modern central heating, double glazing, have greatly reduced the ventilation in some properties and because of this water vapour does not have the opportunity to escape. This can cause walls and ceilings and sometimes floors to become damp and sometimes discoloured and unpleasant as a result of mould growing on the surfaces. Tenant(s) tenancy agreement obliges you to keep the property at all times well and sufficiently aired.


The Tenancy Agreement provides tenant(s) landlord to visit their property by providing reasonable notice (24 hours). Our Tenancy Agreement also provides that within the last 2 months of a tenancy, the Landlord might like to show their prospective Tenants around the property. Your co-operation would be appreciated in permitting these visiting arrangements.


Under no circumstances are locks to be changed by the Tenant(s) without the prior approval of the Landlord or agency. At the end of the Tenancy all keys are to be returned to the Landlord and where this is not done, the Landlord may request for the monies or be deducted from the damage deposit.


Giving notice on your tenancy

The Tenancy Agreement contracts tenant(s) to stay in a dwelling for the duration stated on the Tenancy Agreement. However, in some instances there may be a break clause. This means you can serve a 2 months' notice after the break clause from tenant(s) rent payment date: for example, twelve (12) months contract with a six (6) months break clause, notice to be served on the sixth (6th) month for two (2) months.

To serve notice you need to write to the Landlord / Agency giving two (2) months notice from the rent payment date. Note in particular a notice has to be in writing and signed by all tenant(s) after a tenancy agreement has commenced.

There is no provision under the Tenancy Agreement for the replacement of individual tenants during the term of the tenancy. Therefore if you wish to break the tenancy and replace someone, contact your landlord / agency for an agreement in principle which will allow the breaking of a contract.

What if I want to stay on for longer than 12 Months?

Two (2) months before a tenancy agreement is due to expire, JBE London will write / call the tenant(s), asking if tenant(s) wish to extend the duration of the contract. If tenant(s) wish to do so and the landlord is agreeable to this, JBE London will arrange for the extension of a contract.


How do I prepare for leaving?

On leaving, tenant(s) need to particularly bear in mind the following:
The property has to be professionally cleaned as stated on the tenancy agreement. This requirement disregards the condition of the property on the day you moved in.

Tenant(s) have to make arrangements with the utility companies (gas, electricity, telephones, etc.) for terminating services, for telephones, arrange for a final bill but do not disconnect the service.

The keys must all be returned and a forwarding address left with the Landlord / agency before considering returning a deposit.

Holding of security deposit

It must be stressed that the landlord agency holds your deposit in a registered scheme. The landlord would decide if any monies are to be withheld to offset dilapidations, breakages, etc.

This security deposit would not be transferable by the Tenant in any way or at any time during the tenancy agreement against the payment of rent and no interest would be payable on the deposit. The deposit will be paid to the tenant only after vacation of the dwelling. The Tenancy Agreement states that the landlord / agency is to return the deposit within four (4) weeks of the tenancy expiring: if the deposit is not returned within four weeks the reasons for not doing so this must be stated in writing to the tenant(s) by the landlord / agency.

The Landlord is obliged to return the full deposit to you only in the event of there is no breach of the contract, for example there is no unpaid rent, or damage to the property and a correct notice has been served to vacate the dwelling.

House on grass

Contents insurance

If you would like help or a quotation on your contents insurance, please contact your Letting Consultant.

Fee's and charges

Please see here our Tenant fees and charges. If you have any questions on these please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Lettings team.

Property Ombudsman

We are members of The Property Ombudsman and abide by The Property Ombudsman Code of Practice. You agree that we may disclose information relating to the rental of the property to The Property Ombudsman and other regulatory bodies, if you or the landlord have registered a complaint and The Property Ombudsman asks for it. You also agree that we may disclose your contact details to The Property Ombudsman if they ask for them, to assist in their monitoring of our compliance with the Code of Practice.

Rightmove Zoopla TDS CMP PRS UKALA Ombudsman