Taking the headache out of letting your home

Landlords Guide

Property rental and management is the core of our business, we can justifiably boast unparalleled experience in helping landlords achieve excellent returns on their property investment.

We are members of National Landlords Association and UK association of letting Agents, and we ensure at all times that our property management service meets the stringent standards set out by these organisations.

Each of our clients are different and we offer a range of services to suit their individual needs.

What do we offer?

  • Property inspection and letting advice
  • Marketing and viewing
  • Thorough tenant reference checks
  • Preparation of inventory and lease
  • Ensuring complete gas, electric and furnishings compliance
  • Organising electrical safety inspection
  • Organising gas safety inspection
  • Collection and retention of security deposit
  • Regular property inspections and maintenance supervision
  • Specific Inland Revenue processing for overseas clients
  • Pro-active role in sourcing new tenants

Our management service covers:

  • In addition to above
  • Guarantee Rent
  • Collection of rent
  • 24-hour call out service
  • Arranging repairs and maintenance
  • Arranging payment of outgoings
  • Online statements
  • Managing the check-out process
  • Key holding service
  • Transfer of utilities
  • Quarterly management inspection per year with a full report
  • Management while the property is vacant in-between tenancies
  • Comprehensive check-out procedure

Landlords check list for renting your property

What you need to know before you start

  • The better the location the more your property will achieve
  • Properties must be in good order. Under Common Law your duty as a landlord is to provide housing that is wind and water proof and has appropriate ventilation and insulation but the more you invest in your property the more rent you will be able to charge
  • You should always assume your property will be vacant for 2 week's every year and that you will have to spend the equivalent of 2 week's rent every year in necessary repairs so you need to budget accordingly
  • Decide whether you want to rent your property furnished or unfurnished
  • Make sure your property has comprehensive buildings insurance in place

Furnishing list for landlords

When letting a property as furnished we suggest the following as a guideline: (please note that upholstered, gas and electrical items must comply with specific safety requirements)

  • Floor coverings and blinds/curtains throughout the property
  • Fridge freezer, cooker, washing machine
  • Living room furniture to include sofa, coffee table and, if there is space, a dining table and chairs
  • Bedroom furniture to include beds with mattresses, chests of drawers, wardrobes and bedside tables
  • Bathroom accessories and shower curtain

Property maintenance

  • Jack Barclay Estates understand that maintenance is an ongoing issue with all properties. We're here to help whether it's a minor repair or a full scale emergency. We have a team of trusted contractors from all trades who we can rely on to carry out high quality, cost effective work.
  • Normally our landlords set a limit of around £250 below which matters can be dealt with without the need for prior approval. For anything above this limit we will seek your authorisation. The rest can be safely left to us.
  • In the event of an insurance claim we can liaise with your insurer on your behalf if you use the Jack Barclay Estates block policy. Remember we make no additional charge for any maintenance service for repairs up to the value of £400.

Legal requirements for landlords - assured shorthold tenancy

What is a Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

Assured Shorthold Tenancy is the standard form of tenancy agreement between landlords and tenants under the terms of the Housing Act 1988 (amended 1996).

When we take on your property we ask you to sign a formal agreement that sets our mutual duties and responsibilities and standard terms and conditions. For more information on this please call 0207 345 5064.

Termination procedure

When you terminate a tenancy it's important that the correct notice period is given to the tenant. There is a general minimum period of two months, but a notice cannot end earlier than the end of the fixed term

After a tenancy agreement term expires, your tenant's agreement automatically renews itself on a periodic tenancy (month to month basis). If you wish the tenancy to terminate you must give your tenant two months notice in writing to leave your property.

Due diligence

All rented properties must meet the following criteria:

  • Be structurally stable
  • Be substantially free from rising or penetrating damp
  • Have provision for natural and artificial lighting, ventilation and heating
  • Have an adequate supply of piped water
  • Have a sink with hot and cold water, a WC, a fixed bath or shower and wash hand basin
  • Have an effective drainage system
  • Have satisfactory cooking facilities
  • Have access to all external doors and outbuildings

Legal requirements for Landlords - health & safety procedures

As the landlord, it is your legal responsibility to conform to Health and Safety regulations Including, Fire regulations, Gas Safe registration and electrical appliance safety testing.

Health & safety procedures:

Fire regulations

Any upholstered furniture or furnishings supplied as part of the let must conform to the relevant parts of the Furniture and Fire Safety Regulations and should be clearly marked with permanent labels certifying fire safety compliance.

All properties should be fitted with a hard wired smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector, and a fire blanket should be supplied in the kitchen.


You have a legal responsibility to ensure that all the gas appliances in your property are safe, in good order and tested annually by a registered CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers )engineer. You must provide tenants with a valid gas safety certificate to demonstrate that all gas appliances have been tested as safe and this certificate must be renewed every year.


Landlords have a legal responsibility to take all reasonable steps to ensure that all electrical appliances supplied as part of the let are safe to use. We require all electrical appliances to be tested for electrical safety on an annual basis (Portable Appliance Test) and electrical wiring circuits and mains boards to be checked every 5 years (Periodic Inspection Report).


Legal requirements for Landlords - HMO Legislation

If you rent your property to three or more unrelated people it will be classified as a House in Multiple Occupation and be subject to HMO legislation. That means you must have an HMO licence and will be guilty of an offence if you rent a property without it. To acquire an HMO licence you must typically comply with the following:


  • Toilet - one for every five people
  • Bath or shower - one for every six people
  • Washbasin - within or adjacent to each toilet
  • Adequate heating, lighting and ventilation


  • A mains operated fire alarm system must be installed
  • All gas and electrical appliances must be maintained in a safe and satisfactory condition
  • Any furniture must meet with the legal regulations on fire safety
  • In some properties doors must be upgraded to fire door standards
  • At least one fire blanket and fire extinguisher must be provided
  • A fire risk assessment must be carried out and kept up to date

We can advise on how to bring your property to the required HMO and fire and safety standards and, using our approved contractors, arrange for the work to be done.

Smoke Alarm

Legal requirements for landlords

Tenancy deposit

Under the Housing Act 2004, the government is required to introduce mandatory, universal tenancy deposit protection. Tenancy Deposit Protection will apply to all assured shorthold tenancies in England and Wales where a deposit is taken. Virtually all new contracts to let a property are assured shorthold tenancies.

It is not mandatory to take a deposit for a property. A landlord can make the decision not to take a deposit to avoid the scheme, but in doing so you should be aware that if a tenant damages the property or does not pay the rent, recovery of these losses can only be made through the county court.

The landlord/agent, not the tenant, will have the option to choose whether to safeguard the deposit in the custodial or insurance-based scheme..

A landlord/agent will have to safeguard a deposit within 14 days from the day landlord/agent receives the deposit. The landlord/agent will have to provide the tenant prescribed information of where the deposit is held.

House on grass

Money Laundering Regulations

Jack Barclay Estates is subject to the Money Laundering Regulations 2017. This means that we have to obtain and hold identification and proof of address for all customers. Additionally, we are also required to establish whether there are any beneficial owners on whose behalf the transaction or activity is taking place, hence, we would request you to identify anyone who you would consider to be a beneficial owner. Where appropriate, the source or destination of funds may also be requested. Without this information we will be unable to proceed with any work on your behalf.

Below is a list of acceptable identity documents. We require sight of all original or certified documents. Subject to your individual circumstances, Jack Barclay Estates may liaise with you for further/other documentation.

Individual identity documents

Jack Barclay Estates requires one document from List A and one document from List B.

List A - Identity Document

  • Current signed passport
  • Valid UK driving licence
  • EEA member state identity card

List B - Proof of Address

  • UK/EU/EEA Drivers Licence (if UK Drivers Licence not used as ID)
    Must be valid, not expired. Photo only. Full or provisional.
  • Bank, Building Society or Credit Union Statement
    Dated with 3 months. Must include account number and show recent activity. No general correspondence.
  • Credit Card Statement
    Dated within 3 months. Must include account number and show recent activity. No general correspondence.
  • UK, EU, EEA Mortgage statement
    Dated within 12 months. Must show account number. No general correspondence.
  • Utility Bill
    Dated within 6 months E.g. Gas, electricity, water. Must show address for service and/or account number. No general correspondence.
  • Telephone Bill
    Dated within 6 months E.g. Landline or mobile pay monthly (excluding pay as you go). Must show address for service and/or account number. No general correspondence.
  • Council Tax
    Dated within 12 months. Must show address for service and/or account number. No general correspondence.
  • Tenancy Agreement
    Dated with 12 months. Must state full name and full property address. Issued by local council, housing association, solicitor or reputable letting agent.
  • Benefits Entitlement Letter
    Dated within 12 months. Issued by DWP or Jobcentre plus. Must confirm benefit payable at time of issue. E.g. Pension, disability, single parent, housing etc.
  • HMRC Tax Notification
    Dated with 6 months. Must state national insurance number and tax calculation. No general correspondence.
  • Home or Motor Insurance Certificate
    Dated within 12 months. Must state insured address or registered address for vehicle and policy number. No general correspondence.
  • UK solicitors letter confirming house purchase/land registration
    Dated with 3 months. Must state full name of new proprietor and full property address.
  • NHS Medical Card or letter from GP confirming registration
    Dated within 3 months. Must state individual's date of birth and NHS number. No general correspondence.
  • Official confirmation of Electoral Register entry or official poll card
    Dated within 12 months. Must state full name and full address. No general correspondence.
  • Police Registration Certificate
    Dated within 12 months. Must state the full residential address of the individual.


If you are acting as a Representative of an Estate we require the following:

  • Grant of Probate (if a will was left)
  • Letter of administration (if no will left)
  • Individual identity evidence from List A & B for the Personal Representative, either executor or administrator

Limited company

If you are acting as a Representative of a UK Company we will also require the following:

  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Articles of Association
  • Memorandum of Association
  • Latest Annual Return or Confirmation Statement, with details of current company officers
  • If offshore, nominee director declaration and a general power of attorney
  • Individual identity evidence from List A and B for all individuals or entities with 25% or more of the shares or voting rights in the company

If you are acting as a Representative of an Offshore Company we will also require the following:

  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Articles of Association, Memorandum of Association, Latest Annual Return with details of current company officers, Share Certificate(s) showing the Ultimate Beneficial Owner OR
  • Certificate of Incumbency
  • If the shares are owned by another company, repeat steps above for the holding company
  • Nominee director declaration and/or general Power of Attorney (if applicable)
  • Individual identity evidence from List A and B for all individuals or entities with 25% or more of the shares or voting rights in the company


If you are acting as a Representative of a Trust we require the following:

  • Trust deed
  • List of trustees
  • List of beneficiaries
  • Individual Identity evidence from List A & B for all individuals with a vest interest in 25% or more of the capital and/or those who exercise control over the Trust
Terraced Houses

Energy Performance Certificates

To comply with EU legislation, all rental properties marketed in England from 1st October 2008 must have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The certificate gives a rating for the property, showing its energy efficiency and its environmental impact on a scale from A to G in graphical format (where A is the most efficient and G the least efficient). The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings.

The certificate also recommends ways to improve the property's energy performance, to help save energy, reduce bills and cut carbon dioxide emissions.

The cost of a certificate is in the region of £80 Inc VAT. The certificate is valid for rental purposes for 10 years, but properties should be re-assessed sooner if energy saving repairs or improvements (such as the installation of a new boiler) are carried out.

It's good letting practice, and will improve your property's EPC rating, to provide a basic level of thermal insulation and incorporate, where necessary and practical, draught insulation of doors and windows, lagging of immersion heaters and hot water pipes and insulation of roof spaces. Your tenant must be able to heat the property to a reasonable temperature at a reasonable cost so there should be an efficient and economical heating supply and hot water supply. Grants may be available to improve the energy efficiency of your property.

Jack Barclay Estates provide a turnkey solution or any combination of the above depending on how hands-on you want to be. We also offer a number of options to ensure your property is maintained in first class condition.


Refurbishment service

Jack Barclay Estates provides a full refurbishment service that covers any type of project from minor redecoration to installation of a new kitchen right through to complete property renovation. All our contractors are vetted and managed by a team with expertise in this area. We can also supply a comprehensive range of furniture and household equipment. For more information on our refurbishment services please call 0207 345 5064.

Managed Development Agents

An agent is a professional property manager with responsibilities for the elements under common ownership in a residential development.

At Jack Barclay Estates our property managers have responsibility for issues such as:

  • Organising the maintenance, repairs and cleaning of common areas within a development including communal garden areas, stairs, landings, lifts and windows
  • Making regular detailed inspections of developments
  • Administering and collecting charges associated with communal repairs and maintenance
  • Appointing an insurance broker to arrange and administer block buildings insurance and public liability insurance
  • Managing communal maintenance projects
  • Responding to enquiries from our clients or residents' associations

Integrity, reliability and commitment to quality are key to the Jack Barclay Estates service.


Fee's and charges

Please see here our Landlord fees and charges. If you have any questions on these please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Lettings team or find out why so many Landlords choose to rent their property with Jack Barclay Estates.

Property Ombudsman

We are members of The Property Ombudsman and abide by The Property Ombudsman Code of Practice. You agree that we may disclose information relating to the rental of the property to The Property Ombudsman and other regulatory bodies, if you or the landlord have registered a complaint and The Property Ombudsman asks for it. You also agree that we may disclose your contact details to The Property Ombudsman if they ask for them, to assist in their monitoring of our compliance with the Code of Practice.

Rightmove Zoopla TDS CMP PRS UKALA Ombudsman